Friday, June 26, 2009

Conversations With Piper: Comprehension

June 25th, 2009: She was trying to pull a sticker off a sheet of paper and it wouldn't come off. She called out to me: "Mom, come take a look at this! It's stuck I think." BAM, just like that. When did she get to be such a PERSON?

She calls me "Mom" more and more these days. "Ha! Dat's my mom!" she says, pointing at me. She puts in her lunch request: "Mom, asking please mac n' cheese? Asking PLEASE!" So far it's just here and there, but I hear it with increasing frequency. It will be weird to hear "Mom! Mom! MOM!" instead of "MOM-EEEE! MOMMY!"

She loves to help. She hands me dishes to put away and knows which drawers her own little bowls and cups belong in. When we're getting ready to go, I tell her to find her shoes and she brings them to me. After we've put them on her feet, she looks at mine and says "Mommy needs shoes too." She goes and gets my shoes and brings them to me. "There!" she says, satisfied when I put them on. "Okay, ready? Let's go to the store!" When we're wrestling around and the little stud I have in my nose comes loose, she straightens it for me. "There. Isn't that better?" she asks.

Better? Yeah. But also crazy.

I saved the best for last:

Piper (points at Ryan): Dat's Daddy!
Ryan: Yep.
Piper (points at me): An dat's Mommy!
Me: Yep.
Piper (points at self): An dat's the baby!
Me: Yes, you are.
Piper (pulls up shirt, slaps belly with glee): An dis baby's NAKED!

No comments: