Monday, September 14, 2009

Mel's Interim House Contest

Please go check out my friend Mel's blog and her contest for a charity. You can enter to win a skein of her really cool sock yarn AND de-stash your knitting (or crochet) stuff at the same time. You have until the 19th to get a package in the mail. Here's a post with some needs/preferences/requests from IH.

I am sending mine out tomorrow; I would've had it done before but I kept finding more stuff to add. During my recent cleaning-and-organizing binge I went through all the messy junk closets - to the point of hauling out all the "what is IN here?!" boxes and opening them - and I kept unearthing more craft stuff. I wound up with enough stuff for ten dedicated crafters, including way more knitting stuff than I have room for. Skein after skein of never-used yarn piled up around me like mountains. So I have a big box of things to send, including:

- Yarn in colors I'd never wear. Pale, pale pink? What was I thinking?!

- Duplicate needles - my mom snatches up bargains wherever she finds them, so she frequently buys shoebox-fulls of knitting needles at yard sales or bargain baggies of them at designer-discount stores. I'm weeding out the duplicates in sizes I don't use much, which just happen to be the sizes that IH is looking for.

- Yarn that is too warm to work with. I just cannot do super-chunky wool or bulky alpaca in a climate where it's 85 most of the time.

- Extra tape measures. For some reason, the little retractable tape measures have become a popular corporate swag item. We have a lot of them around here, so I am sending some.

- Yarn that I bought because I didn't know any better.* I was a new knitter, okay? But it's been almost four years and I still have those skeins of fun fur, eyelash yarn, yarn with nubby bits, super-fuzzy yarn, yarn with glitter and yarn in day-glo disco colors. I don't know what to do with it all, but the IH ladies love it (check out their blog for some pics of projects).

- Single skeins that I am not creative enough to figure out what to do with. Everyone in my life has enough scarves already.

I would've posted this entry sooner, but I am a dumbass and apparently unaware of the way that time works (see earlier posts about Fall's surprise arrival in my life).


*I would also, at this point, like to publicly apologize to Mel, because the year I learned to knit I put two skeins of green fun fur in her Christmas stocking. What?! She loved green and it was bright green. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know what good yarn was. I'M SO SORRY, I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN I PROMISE!

No comments: